A Remote worker accepts a $35,000 pay cut to work from home

For Jay, remote work is worth the price he paid.

His employer deemed his work completely portable and provided him the option to keep working from home after the office reopened. But there was a catch: He had to live within two hours of an office.

Jay wanted to move closer to his family, especially his father, who was dealing with a neurological disease.

Even though Jay said he worked productively remotely, his employer’s two-hour rule forced him to choose: quit or transfer

a $35,000 pay cut — which brought his salary below six figures

While it was still « pretty good money, Â» Jay said, it did amount to a « huge pay cut. Â»

Eventually, he left the agency altogether for a new job, making a little more but still in the five figures

Today, he works almost entirely remotely and has to commute two hours only once a week — something he’s happy to do if it means he can keep his job

« I just kind of wish that employers would realize that talent doesn’t just live within a certain radius of an office, Â» he said.

Bosses say remote work is over, but workers aren’t ready to let go

« People who sit at the computer all day, and that’s literally their job — it can be done successfully from anywhere, Â» he said.

I think there’s a push from local governments to try and get people back in the office.

I also feel like there are some politically wealthy political donors out there who own commercial real estate who want their rents to continue.

Already, there’s an « office apocalypse Â» raging in some cities, with McKinsey predicting remote work will slash the value of office buildings to the tune of $800 billion by 2030

Even in 2020, nearly 200 influential business executives in New York City called upon then-Mayor Bill de Blasio to help them by addressing quality-of-life issues so they could, in part, convince workers it would be safe to come back to the office.